Spring 2018

This semester, my goal was to start getting more sleep, eat less fast food, and exercise more. I was successful in parts of my goal, but I am still working to reach other parts of this goal. I have been getting more and more sleep throughout the semester. At the beginning of the semester, I was sleeping 5.5-6 hours almost every night, with an exception of the weekends. Now, I am getting 7.5-8 hours on average every night. In order to achieve this, I tried to be more efficient with my homework and studying. At the beginning of the semester, I was doing my homework in bits and pieces, and in between I would eat, hang out with friends or family, watch TV, or find some other way to waste time. Instead of procrastinating and doing a little bit at a time each day, I tried to sit down and work hard for a few hours and get it done without wasting time. By doing this, I got my homework done in a shorter amount of time and still had time to relax or hang out. I kept a sleep log in an excel worksheet, in which I recorded the number of hours of sleep I got every night from February 14 to April 27. From the table I made, I made this graph to show the trend of number of hours of sleep I got per night.
As you can see from the graph, there is a slight increase over time of the number of hours of sleep I got throughout the semester. There are some spikes that decrease rapidly: these indicate that I probably had a ton of work to get done and I had to stay up late. The points on the graph that show a spike upwards are usually the weekends, because I get a lot more sleep on the weekends than I do during the week. Overall, my sleep habits are much better and I have been getting a lot more sleep now than I used to. This contributes to my overall health in a positive way.
When it comes to eating out less, I did not do a very good job of this throughout most of the semester. I often find it's much easier to stop by a drive-thru than actually prepare a decent meal. However, in the last three weeks, I have been doing better about reaching this goal. I have been limiting myself to fast food only twice a week. I have learned how to cook some things from my mom and my grandma, but I still have a long way to go to know how to prepare healthy meals. I have also not been exercising as much as I would like to. It has been hard for me to find time to go to the gym this semester. However, I am starting to work out more and more as the semester gets less busy. I plan to workout on most days during the summer as well.
This semester has been fairly successful in reaching my goals, however I still have a long way to go to improve my health. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Volunteering: My Placement at Girls Inc. and Exchange Place Service Project

Paper and Ink: Prints/Drawings/Installations Exhibit Reception

Class September 5